Joshua Harris’s book, Stop Dating the Church, is a call to commitment to the life and ministry of a local church. In the book, he gives a checklist to a prospective member who is trying to decide about membership in a church. The same list helps those who are considering a move to another church. I found the list helpful in evaluate my ministry and the church I serve.
1. Is this church where God’s Word is faithfully taught? (2 Tim. 3:16)
2. Is this a church where sound doctrine matters? (Acts 2:42; 2 Tim 4:3-4)
3. Is this a church in which the gospel is cherished and clearly proclaimed?
4. Is this a church committed to reaching non-Christians with the gospel? (Matt. 28:18-20)
5. Is this a church whose leaders are characterized by humility and integrity? (1 Tim. 3)
6. Is this a church where people strive to live by God’s Word? (James 1:22)
7. Is this a church where I can find and cultivate godly relationships?
8. Is this a church where members are challenged to serve? (Eph. 4:12)
9. Is this a church that is willing to kick me out? (1 Cor. 5; 2 Cor. 2)
10. Is this a church I’m willing to join “as is” with enthusiasm and faith in God?